I Dub Thee: Thai Basil "Smoked" Tempeh
- 4oz Tempeh, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3tbsp. Tamari or Brags Liquid Aminos
- 1/2tsp Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 small red or green chili peppers, seeded
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1-3tsp chili garlic sauce (depending on preference)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 1/3cup vegetable broth
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- Jasmine Rice for serving
- First things first, get your rice cooking, it takes the longest of all!
- Combine the Tempeh, Soy Sauce, and Liquid Smoke in a small container or ziplock bag, this will be a quick 15 minute marinade while everything else gets prepped and diced. Set aside to commingle.
- Combine your Garlic, Chilies, Lemon Juice, and Chili Garlic Sauce in a food processor or blender, and mince. This will be our sauce.
- After your Tempeh has has some time to gain some flavor, put a non stick pan over medium heat, and add some cooking oil. Drain the Tempeh and carefully add to the pan as it may cause the oil to dance from the moisture. Saute for about 1 minute per side or until golden on both. If it sticks a bit don't worry the pan will deglaze and add more flavor to the sauce.
- Remove the tempeh from the pan and set asside, then add the onion and pepper to the pan, if needed add a little more oil. You only need to saute for about one minute.
- Add the chili sauce and broth to the pan, stir to combine, then re-add the Tempeh
- Let simmer for a few more minutes so that the peppers and onions can soften a bit, then add your basil and let cook till just starting to wilt.
- Serve over rice and enjoy.